Download Manager and Amazon s3 Plugins now ready for public release
The Download Manager
This Plugin is designed for all you music sellers! but of course it will work for almost any digital file. The idea here is to provide a more user friendly, more convenient option for your customers to download their digital purchases. Lets say for example you have an album for sale on your site. This album has fifteen tracks as individual mp3 files, (it is now possible to have multiple files associated with a product in 3.8 by the way!). Instead of the customer downloading the tracks one by one by clicking on the links in the email or on the downloads page, they can now discover a sleek widget waiting for them on your site when their payment goes though. ‘What’s this?” they say, “how awesome”.
In just a couple of clicks they download all 17 tracks with nice progress visualisation, then they get all bundled up into a zip file and prompted to save with a dialog box. Three Clicks instead of seventeen! much better.
- Provides a simple and convenient way for your customers to download files
- Ships with two themes , black slick and silver slick that can be implemented in the dashboard. And more on the way, community themes welcome.
- If you are a web designer and have a little understanding of css then creating your own theme for this widget is really easy. The Plugin has been designed in a way that makes plugging in a new custom theme a really easy and painless affair. Just follow the steps in the readme.
- Integration with our Amazon S3 Plugin, speaking of which…
The Amazon S3 plugin
For those who don’t know Amazon provides a service called Simple Storage Service, or S3, which is a great service for hosting and storing your files online. This Plugin allows downloadable products that you have for sale on your WP e-Commerce site to be hosted within S3. This provides an alternative to hosting your digital products on your own server. Storing your files this way can be a great solution under a number of circumstances, mostly commonly;
- If your hosting plan only includes a limited amount of space and bandwidth. In which case you need this Plugin.
- If you are selling large files and your host does not handle downloading large files well – if your customers are finding that their downloads stop halfway then it’s probably a server time out. In which case you need this Plugin.
- Your servers download speed is slow and you want your costumers to download your products lightning fast. In which case you need this Plugin.
One thing I am proud of with this plugin is it’s UI. The plugin is designed to make it super easy to integrate your S3 files as downloadable products in just a couple of steps. In the plugins admin page you just enter in your S3 info and the plugin will do the rest. It will even tell you if your details are incorrect which will save you countless headaches down the road. Once set up you will find the S3 option at the bottom of any product page. Just cick the ‘get s3 files’ button and you will be shown all your S3 files in a nice ordered list. Just click which files you wish to include for the particular product and your done. As stated in the read me. The Plugin works best when used in conjunction with the popular Firefox plugin ‘S3 Fox organizer’. Use this tool to upload your files and the plugin to associate those files with your products. Easy pesy. Just sit back and be rest assured that your customers are now getting reliable and speedy downloads of your great digital content.